William August Cole

From Public Record Office Victoria
Jump to: navigation, search


Loading map...

William August Cole is associated with 137 Victoria Street, Flemington located at these coordinates -37.784598, 144.935675

Date of Birth: 23 August 1881
Date of Death: 15 July 1954
Also known as: gus cole
Related Resource URL: http://wiki.prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/Victorian_Era_Victoria_Street_Flemington
User Tags: cricket club hotel, victoria street, flemington

William August Cole and his wife Millicent were both second generation Victorian born residents. William had a long career as a publican, brewer and hotel owner. William (known as Gus) was the publican at the Cricket Club Hotel, Flemington in the early 1900’s.

This biography forms part of the Victorian Era Victoria Street Flemington Project. William August Cole lived at 137 Victoria Street, Flemington.

The original William Cole and family arrived in Portland, Vic as assisted immigrants in Nov 1852. They lived in Cox St, Belfast (now Port Fairy) and expanded their family to seven children.

VPRS 14 Register of Assisted Immigrants from British Ports

The eldest son William married Jane Paterson who was the daughter of a Scottish couple who had also migrated to Australia in the 1840’s.

William and Jane moved their growing family to Melbourne where they eventually settled in Flemington – residing at the Cricket Club Hotel (95 Mt Alexander Road) with some of their children including eldest son William August (Gus). They both lived in and ran the hotel for a number of years. After Gus had moved on, William, his wife Jane, son Robert and sister, also Jane, lived in the hotel, finally moving on to a home in Ascot Vale.

William August (b)1881 was running the hotel when he married Millicent Stuart in 1903 and they moved to live in 137 Victoria Street, Flemington, a property that was owned by his father. Here they began their own family, continuing the family naming tradition of calling the firstborn son William.

Gus graduated from selling beer to making it as the later electoral rolls record his occupation as brewer. He and Millie had relocated to Victoria Parade right in the heart of carlton and united breweries territory, so it seems his commitment to the industry extended to where the family lived .

He formed a company B & C (Brock and Cole) Hotels P/L and over the years, owned a number of other licenced premises throughout Melbourne including the Council Club Hotel in Preston.

Gus died in 1954 aged 72.

William August Cole has been tagged on these pages:

  1. 137 Victoria Street, Flemington
  2. William August Cole

Personal tools
Getting Started
Advanced Users