Help:Creating a user account
From Public Record Office Victoria
A 'user account' is needed to create and edit pages on this site. A user account consists of a name and password.
- The name tells people who made changes to a particular entry.
- The password is needed so only you can make changes under your name.
Creating an account
- Click on the text 'Log in/ create account' at the top right of the screen. This takes you to the log in page.
- If you created an account previously, enter your name and password details and click on the 'Log In' button. The screen will take you back to the page you were at before the log in page. There will be some new options at the top of the screen and just above the main part of the screen, including a tab marked 'Edit' Clicking on this will allow you to edit the page you are looking at. See Help:Editing for more information on what to do at this point.
- To create a new account, click on the 'Create an account' text. This will take you to a screen that will ask you to enter 4 pieces of information.
- A 'User name'. This can be your name or another alias (especially useful is somebody else with the same name has already created an account).
- A secret password. The system will ask you to type this in twice to ensure it is correct.
- Your email address. This is so the wiki can send an automatic email to you if you forget your password.
- Your real name. This is optional, but useful if you have used an alias as your user name.
Once you have entered this information, the system will log you in and you will be able to edit and create pages.