Help:Adding images to pages
From Public Record Office Victoria
To add an image to a wiki page you need to upload it to its own little page in the wiki database first.
Step 1 - uploading the image
- Log in to the wiki with your username and password.
- From the 'toolbox' menu on the left hand side of the wiki screen, select the 'Upload File' option.
- This will take you to a page that asks you to navigate to the file on your local computer, and (optionally) provide a caption and other data.
Step 2 - placing the image on your page
- Log in and open up the page you are working on in the editor.
- Position the editing cursor at the point in the text you want the image to appear. Between paragraphs is usually best.
- Click on the 'Insert/Edit Image' button in the editor. (This is in the top row of buttons.) A dialogue box labelled 'Image Properties' will appear.
- In the 'Image file name' field, type part of the filename of the image you have uploaded.
- The 'Automatic search' field will then look through the wiki database for images with filenames that match your search. Select the image you want from the list.
- Use the options at the bottom of the dialogue box to add captions, and position the image on the page.
- Click 'OK' to close the 'Image Properties' dialogue box and the image will appear on your page. You can right-click on the image to bring up the box again and change settings.
- Remember to save the page once you have finished making changes.
A Note of Caution
- Remember that many large images on a single page may cause severe problems for people trying to view your page. The method suggested in Steps 1 and 2 does not create thumbnails, but merely scales each large image file to squeeze into a smaller area on the screen. This overloads many home computers, leading to the browser "stalling" or just becoming very slow and unresponsive. When |this page's suggested syntax has been tested on the PROV wiki, this cautionary note will be updated with further suggestions or recipes.