FAQ - Health Profession Records
Who is responsible for creating and administering the health profession records?
There are almost as many responsible Agencies for the health profession records as there are branches of medicines. The list includes the following Agencies:-
- Department of Health (I) VA 695 1944-1978
- Victorian Nursing Council VA 1352 1958-1996
- Midwives Board VA 3143 1915-1929
- Nurses Registration Board of Victoria VA 3144 1924-1958
- Nurses Board of Victoria VA 4611 1994-2010
- Opticians Registration Board VA 4871 1935-1996
- Optometrists Registration Board of Victoria VA 1348 1996-2010
- Physiotherapists Registration Board of Victoria (I) (previously known as Masseurs Registration Board of Victoria 1923-1976) VA 1350 1923-1999
- Physiotherapists Registration Board of Victoria (II) VA 4874 1999-2010
- Chiropodists Registration Board of Victoria VA 1340 1970-1998
- Podiatrists Registration Board VA 4873 1998-2010
- Victorian Psychological Council VA 1351 1966-1995
- Psychologists Registration Board of Victoria (I) VA 4875 1995-2000
- Psychologists Registration Board of Victoria (II) VA 4876 2000-2010
I need my Nursing Certificate to get back into the work force.
Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) does not hold Nursing Certificates. For information about Nursing Certificates, contact the Australian Health Practioners Regulation Agency. However, PROV does hold the following series which may help:-
- VPRS 16408 General Nurse Register 1924-2001 which records registration date, Surname/Title/Given Name, location, school, graduation date and section of Act. The volumes are in registration number up to 119,997 in June 1994 and then in date order to 4 May 2001.
- VPRS 16364 "Early" General Nurse Record Cards, Alphabetical 1924-1957 records the registration details of nurses and associated details such as training, qualifications and certificates held.
- VPRS 16363 "Early Midwifery Registration Cards 1923-1957 records the registration details of nurses and associated details such as training, qualifications and certificates held.
- VPRS 16407 Royal Victorian Trained Nurses Association Nurses' Register The Victorian Trained Nurses Association (VTNA) was established to register nurses, introduce a uniform curriculum of training and examination and to establish a benefit scheme for nurses. Although the role of registering nurses became the reponsibility of the VA3144 Nurses' Board 1924-1958 from 1924, entries continued to appear in these volumes until 1930.
- VPRS 16410 Nursing Aide and State Enrolled Nurses' Register records the registration details of nurses and associated details such as training, qualifications and certificates held.
- VPRS 16411 Midwives' Register 1916-1994 The Midwives' Board was responsible for the registration of midwives before the responsibility was transferred to VA 3144 Nurses' Board (1924-1958) in 1929. The register was maintained until 1994.
- VPRS 16412 Pyschiatric Nurses' Register 1952-2001 records the registration details of psychiatric nurses and associated details such as training, qualifications and certificates held.
- VPRS 16413 Mental Retardation Nurses' Register 1953-2001 records the registration details of "mental retardation" nurses and associated details such as training, qualifications and certificates held.
- VPRS 16426 Index to Mothercraft Nurses 1951-1959 This volume is an alphabetical index to VPRS 16427 (see next entry) and contains the names and registration numbers for persons registered as Mothercraft Nurses from 1951-1959.
- VPRS 16425 Mothercraft Nurses' Register 1931-1954 and VPRS 16427 Mothercraft Nurses' Register 1951-2001. VPRS 16425 appears to be a record of training undertaken by potential mothercraft nurses, prior to State registration. Entries continue until 1954 - meaning that there is a period of overlap (1951-1954) between this register and VPRS 16427. VPRS 16425 records the date that training was completed and VPRS 16427 records the date of registration and the registration number in addition to Surname/Title/Given Name, location and school. It is possible to locate entries for indiviuals in both registers with registration details usually following up to several months after the completion of training.
- VPRS 16414 Pre-school Mothercraft Nurses' Register 1942-1976 The Mothercraft Nurses' Act 1949 allowed for the issue of a special certificate of competency for Mothercraft Nurses who had completed the required period of instruction at a recognised pre-school mothercraft nurses' training school and passed an examination approved by the Department of Health.
- VPRS 16428 Infant Welfare Nurses / Maternal and Child Health Nurses' Register 1929-1994 Registration details were recorded for Infant Welfare Nurses between 1928 to 1979 and for Maternal and Child Health Nurses between 1979 t0 1994.
- VPRS 16429 Tuberculosis Nursing Aides Register 1950-1973 This series contains a list of holders of certificates of Competency as Assistant Nurses - Tuberculosis Services and lists of candidates undertaking the Nursing Aide - Tuberculosis examination.
- VPRS 16430 Special Certificate of Tuberculosis Training / Tuberculosis Disease Nurses' Register 1957-1974 This register contains registration information for persons who were issued with a Special Certifcate of Tuberculosis Training.
- VPRS 16375 Post-Graduate Course Register 1939-1977 One of the functions under the Nurses Acts is to supervise training and registration of nurses in specialised branches of nursing. These records are of individual nurses who qualified for registration in specialised branches of nursing.
- VPRS 16377 Register of Nursing Services in Victoria in Time of War This volume is a register of nurses registered in Victoria during World War II.
What other sort of nursing records do you hold (apart from employment records)?
Other records held include Annual Reports, Board and Committee Minutes, Correspondence and Examination Papers. Some examples are:-
- VPRS 16361 / P0001 Annual Reports 1969-2006 to the Minister of Health containing information about the agency's operation and financial affairs. Annual reports for the period 1929-1968, including reports from the Nurses Board (VA 3144) and the Victorian Nursing Council (VA 1352), are included in VPRS 8834 / P0002 General Correspondence Files Unit 5.
- VPRS 16380 / P0001 Board Minutes 1924-1958 contain the minutes and papers of the meetings of the Nurses Board VA 3144 1924-1958. Content includes reports from the agency's committees, financial reports, professional conduct reports, registration reports, policies, guidelines, course reviews and approvals.
- VPRS 16365 Examination Papers 1935-1995 and VPRS 16366 Examination Papers 1924-1958 One of the functions of the Nurses Board, as prescribed by the Nurses Acts of 1926, 1956 and 1993, was to determine standards of examination for all types of nurse training and to be responsible for fixing dates, times and places where examinations would be held and to appoint examiners. The records include the examination papers, guides and procedures used in the process of assessing trainees' competency to work as registered nurses.
- VPRS 16368 General Nursing Committee Minutes 1993-1994 The functions of the committee were to provide advice and recommendations to council on general nursing education (curriculum, assessment procedures, course evaluation) standards and scope of general nursing practice, proposals initiated by the General Nursing Committee, legislation and regulations affecting education and practice.
- VPRS 16369 Legislation Advisory Committee Minutes 1995-2007 The committee provided advice and recommendations to the Board in relation to the review of the Nurses Act 1993 (No. 111/1993) and regulations and the formation of draft amendments to the act and regulations. VPRS 16370 Midwives Board Minutes 1921-1929 The Midwives Board was the governing body appointed under the Midwives Act 1915 (No. 2773). These records are the minutes and papers of the meetings of the Board and include operational and financial business. With the passing of the Midwives Act 1928 (No. 3587), the registration of midwives was transferred to the Nurses Board VA 3144 1924-1958 . The volume containing minutes from the period 1916-1920 are held in VPRS 8834 / P0002 General Correspondence Files Unit14.
- VPRS 16371 Nurse Education and Practice Advisory Committee / Accreditation and Practice Standards Advisory Committee Minutes 1998-2004 The Nurse Education and Practice Advisory Committee provided advice and recommendations to the Board with respect to the approval and accreditation of agencies and courses which provide qualifications for registration purposes. Other content includes a review of code of practice for midwives in Victoria and guidelines for registration and re-registration. These records are the minutes, reports and papers.
- VPRS 16374 Examination Committee Records 1947-1994 These are the records of the committees and sub-committees of the Panel of Examiners which was appointed to review examination procedures, content and results and includes reports and recommendations. Examples include sub-committees to analyse the failure rate of students and whether multiple choice questions are the most suitable format.
- VPRS 16378 Research and Grants Advisory Committee Minutes and Reports 1983-2004 This Committee provided advice and recommendations to the Board regarding research applications and grants which were given to fund research reports. Minutes start from 22 May 1996. The minutes indicate that the committee existed prior to this date but no minutes have been located from this period. The series also includes Final Reports from 1983 - 1988.
- VPRS 8834 General Correspondence Files 1901-1994 This series comprises the general correspondence files of the two agencies responsible for the registration of nurses, namely the Nurses Board (VA 3144) and the Victorian Nursing Council (VA 1352).
- VPRS 16437 Record of Cases of Puerperal Pyrexia, Sepsis or of Infectious Nature 1942-1968<span style="font-weight: bold;" /> <span style="font-weight: bold;" />This volume, created by the Nurses Board (VA 3144) and maintained by the Victorian Nursing Council (VA 4611) from 1958, contains entries for persons diagnosed with Puerpal Pyrexia, Sepsis or other infectious diseases.
What dental records do you hold?
PROV holds several series of records for the Dental profession. They include:-
- VPRS 16499 Advanced Dental Technicians Register 1975-1999 The Advanced Dental Technicians' Qualifications Board (VA 1339) was responsible for creating and maintaining a register of licensed advanced dental technicians containing their full names, residential addresses and the addresses of their place of work.
- VPRS 16515 Diplomates' Licentiate of Dental Surgery Register 1902-1947 Diplomates are holders of a diploma who have also been certified as a specialist by an Association or Board. The Diplomates have signed the register to acknowledge their receipt of their diplomas.
- VPRS 16516 Ernest Joske Memorial Prize Register and Orations 1940-2000 This series consists of two volumes. The first volume contains the names of the winners of the Ernest Joske Memorial Prize awarded annually to the Dux of the Dentistry College. The second volume holds copies of the Ernest Joske Memorial Oration which is a lecture given to honour the first Registrar of the Dental Board.
- VPRS 16517 Examination Results 1926-1938 These volumes contain the results of annual examinations of dental students of the Faculty of Dental Science at the University of Melbourne.
- VPRS 16523 Signature Books 1910-1938 Section 13 of the Dentists' Act 1910 (No. 2257) required a signature to be recorded for each registered dentist.
- VPRS 16526 Temporary Registrations Register 1972-1993 Section 22 of the Dentists' Act 1973 (No. 8287) stated that, upon application, the Board could issue a temporary certificate of registration as a dentist and that the Board should keep a record of those registrations. The register records the names of applicants, date of birth, addresses, qualifications and registration numbers.
- VPRS 16527 Dentists' Register 1888-2000 These registers contain the names, addresses, qualifications and registration numbers of dentists registered with the Dental Board of Victoria (VA 1343). Between 1888 and 1920, the registers also contained a periodical called "Dentists' Register" printed and published under direction of the Board. From 1920, the registration details became part of the Government Gazette.
- VPRS 16520 Permit Records 1928-1963 Permit Certificates are records of permits issued to employers allowing them to employ suitably qualified under their supervision, under Section 68, sub-section 3(a) of the Medical Act 1928 Part II.
In addition to the above employment-related records, PROV also holds many other series relating to organizational matters such as Board Elections and Appointments, Annual Reports, Board Minutes and Papers, Dental Legislation and Regulation Working Papers and Public Education Committee Minutes.
I'm a Psychiatric Nurse - can I access my records?
VPRS 16412 Psychiatric Nurses' Register 1952-2001 and VPRS 16413 Mental Retardation Nurses' Register 1953-2001 contain registration numbers and associated details for Pyschiatric Nurses and Mental Retardation Nurses.
How do I access Doctor Registration details?
- VPRS 16388 Application Register 1994-1996 contains the names, dates and type of application (eg. medical, specific, extension) of medical practioners who were granted registration.
- VPRS 16392 Foreign Register 1957-1981 contains a list of medical practioners who were granted foreign registration. Details listed include name, date, qualification, examination details and decision. The decision column appears to indicate the duration of the registration granted and gives an end date.
- VPRS 16391 Specialist Medical Register 1971-1979 lists medical practioners who have been granted specialist medical registration. A new specialist registration number was generated and recorded in this register.
- VPRS 16394 Medical Registers 1852-1998 The format of these registers has changed a little over time but essentially they all record names, dates and qualifications.
- VPRS 16395 Temporary Medical Registers 1852-1999 record details such as name, date, qualifications, institutions, period and extensions.
What records do you hold about Chiropractors?
PROV holds very few records from VA 1341 Chiropractors and Osteopaths Registration Board of Victoria and VA 4870 Chiropractors Registration Board of Victoria
Do you have any records for Optometrists?
PROV holds a few records for the Opticians Registration Board VA 4871 1935-1996 and the Optometrists Registration Board of Victoria VA 1348 1996-2010
- VPRS 16477 Annual Reports & Working Papers, Newsletters 1980-2008 This series includes copies of the the annual reports to the Minister detailing the activities of the Board, financial details, numbers of optometrists registered and details about complaints against optometrists and breaches of the Act. Also included in the series is a file containing working papers used in the preparation of the annual reports which contain drafts, audit papers and financial statements.There are also newsletters and memorandums sent by the board to registered optometrists. The newsletters were published irregularly and provided information on Board activities, education matters, updates and reminders on regulations, and hearing details.
- VPRS 16479 Legislation and Regulations 1979-2000 The content of this series relates to the legislation and regulations that govern optometrists. Documents include correspondence, drafts, legal advice, discussion papers and working papers regarding proposed amendments to regulations, regulatory impact statements, sunsetting of regulations and reviews of the Optometrists Acts of 1958 and 1996.
- VPRS 16480 Board Minutes 1936-1955 consist of the minutes of the Optometrists Registration Board of Victoria I (formerly the Opticians Registration Board of Victoria) and the subsequent Optometrists Registration Board of Victoria II. Information in the minutes includes financial reports, correspondence and related actions, applications for registration and for restoration to the register, investigations into complaints and breaches of the Act, removals from the register, disciplinary issues and educational matters.
- VPRS 16481 Optometrists Register 1936-1993 This register of certified opticians / optometrists was created and maintained as a requirement of the Optometrists Acts. The names in the register are arranged alphabetically, and include information such as addresses, qualifications, date of registration, certificate number and annual fee receipt numbers.
What records do you hold regarding Osteopathy?
The Agency responsible for Osteopathy records is the Osteopaths Registration Board of Victoria VA 4872 and the records held by PROV are VPRS16476 Subject Files 1998-2009 which consists of Annual Reports created by the Osteopaths Registration Board during the course of its business.
Do you have any records created by the Pharmacy Board?
The Pharmacy Board of Victoria (I) VA 1349 and the Pharmacy Board of Victoria (II) VA 4877 have at various stages had the responsiblity for creating and administering Pharmaceutical Records. Those in the custody of PROV are:-
- VPRS 1870 Board Minutes 1877-1958 This series contains the minute books of the Pharmacy Board of Victoria which include reports from the agency's committees, financial reports, policies, guidelines, strategic planning and general business.
- VPRS 16383 Pharmaceutical Register of Victoria (Alphabetical) 1916-1982 These records consist of record cards for registered pharmacists arranged alphabetically by surname. Information recorded includes name, registration number, qualifications, addresses and registration renewals.
- VPRS 16384 Pharmaceutical Register 1877-1988 The volumes contain lists of registered pharmacists in Victoria. Information includes name, registration number and qualification. The register was published and gazetted annually.
- VPRS 16386 Planning Committee Minutes 1975-1979 The Planning Committee was responsible for regulating pharmacy premises. Records include applications for approval of new premises and for alterations to premises, recommendations, planning reports and guidelines.
- VPRS 16387 Signature Books 1877-1985 are registers containing handwritten lists of registered pharmacists in Victoria and include name, registration number and signature.
I am interested in records created about Physiotherapists - what records do you hold?
The agencies responsible for the creation and administration of physiotherapy records are the Physiotherapists Registration Board of Victoria (I) (previously known as Masseurs Registration Board of Victoria 1923-1978) VA1350 and the Physiotherapists Registration Board of Victoria (II) VA 4874
- VPRS 16484 Board Minutes 1923-1960 This series consists of the minutes, agendas and papers of the meetings of the Physiotherapists Registration Board of Victoria (I) (formerly known as the Masseurs Registration Board of Victoria) and the Physiotherapists Registration Board of Victoria (II). Content includes financial reports, professional conduct reports, registration reports, policies and guidelines.
- VPRS 16485 Legislation 1922-2009 consists of the Physiotherapists Registration Board's discussion papers, correspondence and drafts of proposals regarding legislation, such as the Masseurs Registration Act 1922, the Physiotherapists Act 1978 and the Health Registration Act (Amendment) Bill. The Masseurs Registration Board of Victoria was created in 1923 pursuant to the provisions of the Masseurs Registration Act 1922. Subsequently the Physiotherapists Act 1978 set up the Physiotherapists Registration Board of Victoria. The Health Professions Registration Act 2005 was passed in 2005 and came into affect in 2007. Under a Competition Policy Agreement in Victoria, all existing health practitioner registration Acts were to be reviewed by the year 2000. The Discussion Papers were an opportunity for practitioners and interested customers to comment on the way in which standards of physiotherapy care are protected.
- VPRS 16486 Subject Files 1950-2009 consists of various agency subject files including the appointment and retirement of board members, regulatory impact statements and financial statements. There is also an incomplete set of the newsletters produced by the Board.
Do you have records of Psychologists?
The Victorian Psychological Council VA 1351, Psychologists Registration Board of Victoria (I) VA 4875 and Psychologists Registration Board of Victoria (II) VA 4876 have all created and administered records for the Psychology field of medicine over the years.
- VPRS 16447 CEO Subject Files 1966-2005 consists of a range of files created by the CEOs and/or senior management during the process of running the agencies. Subjects include review of legislation and regulations, appointments to the board, exemptions regarding regulations for certain practitioners and issues regarding scientology.